Oct 20, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
TITANS (2-4) AT BILLS (3-3)
By Football Night in America’ Eliott Kalb
• Both Tennessee and Buffalo are coming off potential season-turning wins. The Titans upset
the Steelers October 11th in Nashville 26-23 on a last second field goal, snapping a two-game
losing streak in which they were outscored 68 to 21. After being outscored 90-17 in their
previous six quarters, the Bill stunned the Cardinals with a 19-16 OT win.
• Tennessee’s -90 point differential this season is worst in the NFL. The Bills -55 point
differential is 28th. Tennessee has been outscored 106 to 31 combined in losing all three
road games this season.
• The Titans have won each of their last four meetings vs. the Bills while averaging 30.5 points
per game. Last December, Chris Johnson rushed for 153 yards and two TD in a 23-17 Titans
win in Buffalo.
• Johnson has rushed for 285 yards and four touchdowns in two career games vs. Buffalo.
• Johnson hasn’t scored a touchdown since that game in Buffalo last December, a span of ten
games. Johnson’s 3.3 yards per attempt is 40th in the NFL this season.
• Buffalo’s C.J. Spiller leads the NFL, averaging 7.6 yards per attempt in 2012.
• The Titans offense is last in the NFL, averaging 70.2 rushing yards per game in 2012.
• However, Johnson and the Titans are going up against a Bills run defense that is allowing an
NFL-worst 173.5 yards on the ground per game in 2012.
• Matt Hasselbeck will make his third consecutive start in place of Jake Locker (dislocated left
shoulder). Locker did return to practice Wednesday doing some throwing in seven-on-seven
drills. Locker could return in Week Eight vs. the Colts.
• After throwing for just 200 yards in a 30-7 loss to the Vikings in his first start, Matt Hasselbeck
bounced back last week throwing for 290 yards in the Titans win vs. the Steelers.
• The Bills offense has been a bit more conservative over the last two weeks. In the first four
games, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions while averaging 7.4
yards per attempt. In his last two games, Fitzpatrick has zero touchdown passes and just one
interception while averaging just 4.8 yards per attempt.
• Despite their win last Sunday, many Bills fans were critical of Chan Gailey’s play-calling in
the game. There was a Wildcat play that resulted in an interception late in the fourth quarter
when running the ball and the clock seemed the best option. On their final drive of regulation,
the Bills went three-and-out with Arizona using all three of their timeouts, enabling the
Cards to get the ball back. An Arizona field goal attempt was partially blocked at the end of
regulation, which saved the Bills and Gailey from more criticism.
• The Bills have 15 giveaways this season (nine INT, six fumbles), third most in the NFL, fewer
than only the Chiefs (21) and Eagles (17).
• C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson have each fumbled twice this season with all four fumbles
recovered by the opposition.
• On Monday, the Bills signed Shawne Merriman after releasing him back on Aug. 20th.
Merriman played in five games last season for the Bills before winding up on IR (Achilles).
He was cut after trying to convert from linebacker to defensive end in Dave Wannstedt’s 4-3
scheme. With Mark Anderson and Spencer Johnson both out, the Bills wanted to add depth to
their defensive line.
• Titans rookie WR Kendall Wright has 33 receptions—10 more than anyone else on the roster.
• Former Bills General Manager Bill Polian will be formally inducted to the Wall of Fame at
Sunday Night Football TwitterView all »
EJ Manuel says Buffalo's offense is easier than Florida State's http://t.co/m1PZgr29JN
Chargers shielding Te'o from media http://t.co/zwL1Lmz1Fu
Eagles moving on from Miguel Maysonet, which underscores the importance of making a quick impression in OTAs http://t.co/GZlZztIEBS
It's Broncos' Mt. Rushmore nomination time http://t.co/IPM6Ml1dQD
Report: Bills agree to deal with rookie WR Robert Woods http://t.co/pzMOcGyXzn
Peyton Manning's contract didn't change, but the league's treatment of it did, creating $2.5M in '13, '14 cap space http://t.co/j16TlSLR3R
Report: Texans LB Brooks Reed had groin surgery, is "100 percent" for OTAs http://t.co/ymrNoQddvx
Geno Smith says he's learning how to deal with criticism http://t.co/qqdJszLkHg
Broncos still sticking with Rahim Moore http://t.co/UPs6d4jozN
Let's get down to business: Twenty-nine NFL teams holding OTAs this week http://t.co/o5zg353EUh
Charles Woodson interested in Lions, if they're interested in paying him what he wants http://t.co/8AOgJ8OV3D
Patriots hold football clinic in Newtown http://t.co/hiIvATX4vf
PFT's All-Unemployed Team Update: With Freeney gone, John Abraham the best pass rusher left http://t.co/1haFs64s3i
Collin Klein isn't giving up on his NFL dream, yet http://t.co/51mO1EHt3N
Lions 2011 draft class a mess in more ways than one http://t.co/ZOlQaf7qV0
New routine will force Eagles players to be more responsible http://t.co/uENHH7s5yI
Husain Abdullah wanted to return to football in 2012 http://t.co/ehXGGYdZxf
Inside the Super Bowl L, LI voting process http://t.co/gJNAuYBtjV
Greg Schiano says he's "not against" starting Mike Glennon (not that he's sending messages or anything) http://t.co/7ysQbU1aCQ
Larry Fitzgerald: 2012 was most frustrating season I've ever had http://t.co/tLi7abegPj
Jets' Mt. Rushmore may not have many recent faces, but nominate whoever you want http://t.co/ajfA4VxSIW
Report: Jets "really wanted" Brian Hoyer http://t.co/Ao9zESCFwt
Super Bowls L and LI to be awarded Tuesday; one goes to SF or Miami, the other goes to the loser or Houston http://t.co/D0L5vwgZ5a
Nick Saban: Rolando McClain was fair to the Ravens http://t.co/zyOOZwq4jZ
Idzik's 0-for-2 start to free agency has folks taking shots at Jets http://t.co/LCsYXn4G3K
Trent Richardson won't be prosecuted for assault that resulted in lawsuit http://t.co/TtPRdYJn95
Mike Gillislee signs with Dolphins http://t.co/TtGBaqYapK
For Giants rookie Cooper Taylor, heart issue a thing of the past http://t.co/QXBLXO82EE
Sunday morning one-liners http://t.co/e2rVRBsnzm
Six Seahawks have tested positive for PEDs since 2011 http://t.co/7aC15wrRzF
Stephen Tulloch gets motivation from reaction to his spot on top 100 list http://t.co/ZCOZag9dKY
Panthers' offense not necessarily Mike Shula's offense http://t.co/QSn0ZjvtaZ
Roof of new Vikings stadium is "self-cleaning," in the same way leaving a car in the rain makes it "self-washing" http://t.co/2KBOAh47jf
Tebow returns to Jacksonville, but not that way http://t.co/qtMwHrZJzI
Pre-draft Gronkowski injury concerns could be coming to fruition http://t.co/TIK4oaNR2s
League regards possibility of Haslam losing ownership of Browns as "unlikely," for now http://t.co/z99p9ZVuco
Nominate your favorite Patriots for their Mt. Rushmore http://t.co/2LEn8haG4F
Kyle Love passes physical in Jacksonville, with requirement that he receive treatment for diabetes http://t.co/kPef0I3CVc
Chargers announce Freeney deal http://t.co/0IpCbMtCgJ
Willie Colon thinks Jets will dump Mike Goodson http://t.co/fzlyCPJVf7
The signs are coming down at "Cleveland Browns Stadium" http://t.co/IemUrhVmiR
Talks between Cruz, Giants "moving slowly" http://t.co/UHdc7NdQCV
Chargers announce Freeney deal http://t.co/NoTDn3Wg55
Brandon Weeden "surprised" by Browns' decision to sign Brian Hoyer http://t.co/aRXrBkuJOJ
Good luck narrowing the Miami Mt. Rushmore to four http://t.co/NDHn8tIlXN
Eagles have asked Jason Avant to get some work at a new position http://t.co/oI5MJR5fbp
Titans mum on whether they knew about Fokou's DUI charge http://t.co/AHtxzi2mPP
Freeney's base deal surpasses Umenyiora's base deal by $250,000, with more in year one and bigger incentives package http://t.co/1zCQMhYQWX
Two years, $8.75 million for Dwight Freeney, with max value of $13.35 million http://t.co/1zCQMhYQWX
Sunday Night Football Headlines
- Manuel says Buffalo’s offense is easier than Florida State’s
- Chargers shielding Te’o from media
- Milliner makes new agent choice
- Gronkowski canceled Vegas trip
- Eagles move on from Maysonet
- Chris Cook doesn’t think Vikings will suffer without Antoine Winfield
- It’s Broncos’ Mt. Rushmore nomination time
- Report: Bills, WR Robert Woods reach deal
- Manning’s contract doesn’t change, league’s treatment of it does
- Brooks Reed healthy for OTAs after groin surgery
- Pro Bowl
- Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins
- San Fransisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks
- San Fransisco 49ers at New England Patriots
- Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers
- Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys
- Green Bay Packers at New York Giants
- New England Patriots at New York Jets
- Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers
- Houston Texans at Chicago Bears
- Dallas Cowboys at Atlanta Falcons
- New Orleans Saints at Denver Broncos
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals
- Green Bay Packers at Houston Texans
- San Diego Chargers as New Orleans Saints
- New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles
- New England Patriots at Baltimore Ravens
- Detroit Lions at San Fransisco 49ers
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos
- Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants
- Super Bowl