Sep 30, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Last week, Drew Brees recorded his 46th consecutive game with at least one touchdown pass. With one touchdown pass against the Packers, Brees can tie Johnny Unitas’ record of 47 consecutive games.
To me, this was always the NFL version of the DiMaggio 56-game hit streak. Unitas—the greatest quarterback of his time—put together a streak that no one came close to for decades. Prior to the active streaks of Brees (46 straight) and Tom Brady (35 straight), the closest anyone got was Brett Favre (36 games in a row in 2002-2004) and Dan Marino (30 straight from 1985-87). That means from 1960-2003, no one came within 20% (9.4 is 20% of 47) and no came close to 9 or 10 games from the recordt prior to Favre in ’03. And even he wasn’t close!
If I’m the Packers, I’m not going to make it easy. Give the Saints the run. Don’t let Brees have an easy shot in the end zone.
I’m a big Johnny U. fan. Please—Packers—don’t give up the TD pass. But—if the record has to be broken—Brees is worthy.
· The Patriots look to avoid their first three-game losing streak since a four-game skid from September 29-October 27, 2002.
· Ryan Fitzpatrick has been sacked a league-low one time. And the Bills should have no trouble protecting him again this week, as the Patriots have only three sacks, tied for second-fewest of any team.
· Percy Harvin, who leads the league with 27 receptions, has no touchdowns.
· Ponder’s longest completion of the year was for 29 yards.
· Dating back to last season, the Cardinals have won 10 of their last 12 games
· Reggie Bush said he feels no sympathy toward the Jets for losing Revis for the year. “What goes around comes around.”
· Philip Riverswill start his 100th-career and 100th-straight game Sunday in Kansas City.
· Chargers RB Jackie Battleoriginally entered the NFL with Kansas City as an undrafted rookie in 2007 and went on to play five seasons with the Chiefs. He was Kansas City’s leading rusher in 2011 with 597 yards on 149 carries (4.0 avg.).
· Of Alex Smith’s 92 pass attempts, four have traveled 20 yards or more downfield (tight end Vernon Davis was targeted with the other three deep balls). Of the NFL’s 32 quarterbacks who have thrown at least 30 passes, only Buffalo’s Ryan Fitzpatrick has attempted fewer of at least 20 yards than Smith. (Mark Sanchez: 14 long attempts to WR)
· Atlanta is seeking its first 4-0 start since 2004. That ’04 team, led by Michael Vick, won the NFC South going 11-5 before losing to the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game.
· Tony Gonzalez has caught a touchdown pass in each of the first three games of the season. Gonzalez is two touchdown receptions shy of becoming the eighth receiver and first tight end to record 100 career receiving touchdowns.
· The Titans offensive line has allowed just two sacks this season, second fewest of any team. Only the Bills have allowed fewer (one).
· Matt Schaub has won four of his last six starts vs. the Titans. In those six games, he’s thrown 13 touchdown passes with just one interception.
· Andy Dalton has completed 18 of 22 passes (81.8%) in the fourth quarter this season for 288 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions for a perfect quarterback rating (158.3).
· Sam Bradford has been clutch on third down this year, completing 17 of 23 passes for 182 yards.
· Bradford has been sacked 12 times this year. Only Aaron Rodgers (16) has been sacked more often
· The Raiders play the Broncos. Dennis Allen was defensive coordinator for the Broncos in 2011. John Fox was the Raiders defensive coordinator back in 1994-95.
· These are the Raiders? The Raiders did not commit a penalty in the first half last Sunday, and only three for the game. For the season, Oakland has committed only 14 penalties in 3 weeks.
· Richard Seymour versus Peyton Manning. Where have I seen that before?
· The Saints are 0-3, after finishing last season 13-3.
· Redskins Executive Vice President and General Manager Bruce Allen was the Bucs general manager from 2004-2008.
· Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris worked for the Bucs from 2002-2011, serving as head coach from 2009-2011.
· Eli Manning has faced the Eagles 17 times in his career (15 regular season and 2 postseason) and is 7-10 in those games.
· Safety Antrelle Rolle (questionable for Sunday) has started all 35 regular-season games since joining the Giants as a free agent in 2010. That is the second-longest streak on the team after Eli Manning’s 122 consecutive starts
· LeSean McCoy had just one carry in the first quarter last week and a total of four in the first half.
· LeSean McCoy has scored 11 touchdowns (10 rush, 1 receiving) in his past eight home games and looks to score in his ninth consecutive game at the Linc.
By Elliott Kalb
Sunday Night Football TwitterView all »
Johnny Jolly finishes drug treatment program, cleared to return to Packers http://t.co/xk0sgSlPTF
Henry Hynoski carted off with knee injury during Giants OTAs http://t.co/a5FG7dT7Ng
Panthers claim linebacker Ryan Rau off waivers http://t.co/u2zzwFpojT
Report: Ramses Barden close to reuniting with Giants http://t.co/MfO9DsvIEL
Niners mum on plans to replace Crabtree http://t.co/8cVLZ66iez
Charles Woodson gets No. 24 from Tracy Porter http://t.co/p04hb3fwHQ
From Wednesday's PFT Live, Vikings president Mark Wilf talks about the design of the new stadium http://t.co/EBJ2pafBD7
With Dwayne Bowe vowing to lead the league in receiving, Alex Smith prefers to focus on wins not stats http://t.co/pkE20oY3jy
Browns parting ways with QB Thaddeus Lewis http://t.co/wbWDKSMlQ7
With Sean Payton leading the way, the NFL now has eight head coaches who make more than $6 million a year http://t.co/YMDdb8LvgH
Browns waive QB Thaddeus Lewis, per league source.
Rex calls Sanchez's OTA interceptions "unacceptable" http://t.co/KMBZoAXFLS
Rokevious Watkins suspended one game http://t.co/Qra88bL7UY
Crabtree injury could open door for Moss, others http://t.co/4N8iivkeRf
Giants sign seventh-round pick Eric Herman http://t.co/VoHW49vEw7
Patriots claim Kevin Haslam, keeping the Rutgers train rolling http://t.co/Q3fx7AFzGR
Dennis Allen: Charles Woodson brings swagger to Oakland http://t.co/x64HiU8Rz4
Panthers get deal done with first-rounder Star Lotulelei http://t.co/6FNSMJyTWi
PFT on NBC Sports Network: Demaryius Thomas, AFC North burning questions http://t.co/qxxPoPTET5
It will be impossible to come up with four Steelers for their Mt. Rushmore, nearly impossible to cut to 12 finalists http://t.co/11eAMiF2Zo
Injuries limit Mikel Leshoure and sideline Louis Delmas at Lions OTAs http://t.co/GRsB2J69Ho
George McCaskey: Brian Urlacher a part of Bears' "pantheon" of franchise legends http://t.co/6RKCxZfXzZ
Michael Crabtree has Achilles surgery, out six months http://t.co/Wbzc2UumdT
The Jaguars sign their third former Patriots player in the last eight days http://t.co/ANgeAG0AhO
Broncos add Tom Nalen to Ring of Fame http://t.co/9BvZsyklcR
In landing Geno Smith as a client without NFLPA certification, Jay-Z may have acquired his 100th problem http://t.co/vUTMsyqPua
Bengals sign second-round pick Margus Hunt http://t.co/v9eDoHuGr5
Arthur Brown had sports hernia surgery http://t.co/cpMJA24Jer
Peyton Manning "flattered" Cowboys want Romo to emulate him http://t.co/ssQskbFh9d
Report: Michael Crabtree suffers torn Achilles during team workout http://t.co/dc78c1ScuE
Jaguars sign seventh-round pick Demetrius McCray http://t.co/6B9dWvR79s
Report: Michael Crabtree suffers torn Achilles during team workout http://t.co/S5syt52fsa
Hakeem Nicks absent from Giants OTAs http://t.co/GXa0278RoZ
Geno Smith signs with Jay Z's firm, surprising no one http://t.co/pzMNJocLyC
49ers sign fourth-round pick Quinton Patton http://t.co/iSzLqZDoDV
Chiefs sign S Quintin Demps http://t.co/KKj2yBqwnD
Brian Urlacher has a surprising choice for his all-time favorite play http://t.co/Qbgeq6fkuI
Glimpse of four-wide offense could be a good sign for Tannehill http://t.co/CgCOFPF18u
PFT Live at noon ET: Vikings president Mark Wilf, Raiders talk with Paul Gutierrez http://t.co/724qfuXP5K
First-time HOF candidates in 2018: Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Ronde Barber, maybe Randy Moss.
Brian Urlacher announces his retirement http://t.co/JHb8HTdkzo
Bears pulled off with Urlacher what Packers, Colts weren't able to pull off with Favre, Manning; he plays neither for us, nor anyone else.
Brian Urlacher retires, via Twitter. Will a torn ACL to a middle linebacker cause him to change his mind?
Panthers sign second-rounder Kawann Short http://t.co/6zhgeNfCvs
Greg Schiano likes where Adrian Clayborn is right now http://t.co/6321oV3uz9
In game of contract semantics, Charles Woodson went with Oakland's "$4.3 million" over Denver's "$3.7 million" http://t.co/6n34l4yg9a
Arians not happy with offensive mistakes in Arizona http://t.co/h9oQfZbPWp
Sunday Night Football Headlines
- Jolly completes drug treatment program, cleared to return
- Henry Hynoski carted off with knee injury during Giants OTAs
- Panthers claim linebacker Ryan Rau off waivers
- Report: Ramses Barden close to reuniting with Giants
- Niners mum on plans to replace Crabtree
- ProFootballTalk: Woodson back to the beginning
- Woodson is expected to get No. 24 from Porter
- ProFootballTalk: Crabtree’s season doomed?
- ProFootballTalk: Who gets the Week 1 start?
- ProFootballTalk: On the phone with Demaryius Thomas
- Pro Bowl
- Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
- Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
- Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins
- San Fransisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks
- San Fransisco 49ers at New England Patriots
- Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers
- Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys
- Green Bay Packers at New York Giants
- New England Patriots at New York Jets
- Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers
- Houston Texans at Chicago Bears
- Dallas Cowboys at Atlanta Falcons
- New Orleans Saints at Denver Broncos
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals
- Green Bay Packers at Houston Texans
- San Diego Chargers as New Orleans Saints
- New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles
- New England Patriots at Baltimore Ravens
- Detroit Lions at San Fransisco 49ers
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos
- Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants
- Super Bowl